Why is the sewer master plan kept hidden?

Jan 09, 2022 | 5:47 AM HIST

Why is the sewer master plan kept hidden?

Wesley Edward Pereira

This refers to the report titled “Villagers of Benaulim want work on sewer lines stopped” (Herald, January 7).

I refer again to the ex ante evaluation report of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) for the currently executed Goa water supply and sanitation project. Section 2 of this ex ante appraisal report discusses the need and relevance of assistance from the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) for the project. In this section of the report (see page 1), it is stated that the state of Goa, which is located near the central part of the west coast of the Indian subcontinent facing the Arabian Sea, has a population of 1.4 million inhabitants and attracts a large number of foreign tourists each year (approximately 1.8 million in 2005).

How many foreign tourists visited Goa in 2005-2006? According to the report of the eleventh five-year plan 2007-2012 and the annual plan 2007-2008 (see section 9.2 Tourism, page 245), 180,310 foreign tourists were brought by 719 charter flights during the 2005-06 season (October 2005 to May 2006) and 45% of foreign tourist arrivals were made by charter flights. Taking into account the remaining 55% of foreign tourist arrivals by non-charter flights and other modes of transport, the total number of foreign tourist arrivals to Goa during the 2005-2006 season is approximately 4,000,000. (0.4 million or 4 lakh). The figure of 18,000,000 (1.8 million or 18 lakh) of foreign tourists reported in JICA’s ex ante evaluation report is 4.5 times higher. JICA Goa Water Supply and Sanitation Project was therefore approved based on the wrong information about the demands of the people!

In addition, according to the ex ante appraisal report of JICA’s Goa Water Supply and Sanitation Project, the target areas of the sanitation component are Margao, Mapusa and the northern coastal belt of the state. from Goa. The Herald report (October 1, 2015) on the Carmona Housing Mega Project mentions a sewage treatment plant and sewer line covering three villages in South Goa. Are there plans to expand the target areas of the sanitation component of the JICA-funded Goa Water Supply and Sanitation Project to villages along the Sal River to promote unsustainable tourism? and housing megaprojects?

I refer to the invitation to tender n ° SIDCL / Admn-7 / F.No.TN-2/3341 / 14-15 of 07/22/2014 from the Sewerage & Infrastructure Development Corporation of Goa Ltd . (SIDCGL) inviting to express interest in the preparation of the Goa State Sanitation Master Plan. What new sanitation systems have been included in the master plan? Why are the Terms of Reference for the preparation of the Sanitation Master Plan not available on the SIDCGL site?

Sanitation Master Plans (SMPs) are needed to identify existing site-specific sanitation issues based on land use plans and topography of catchment areas and then propose improvements to the drainage system. sanitation. It is necessary to define water quality objectives to protect water bodies and to develop a long-term strategy for the collection, treatment and disposal of wastewater. The SMP mission is expected to recommend site specific improvement works to be undertaken over a period of time to address the existing sanitation infrastructure issues in the State of Goa.

Topographic / land use contour maps and site plans are key requirements for proper planning and design of the layout of sewage systems, wastewater treatment plants and outfall locations . What is the demand of the human population for the planning of large sanitation infrastructure projects in the villages of Goa?

Let me repeat. One of the urgent targets of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) -6 was to protect and restore water-related ecosystems, including mountains, forests, wetlands, rivers, aquifers and lakes. Protecting water-related ecosystems is essential for implementing nature-based solutions to mitigate disaster risk. Has the State of Goa met this required target by 2020 to achieve first rank in SDG-6?

Source link

About admin

Check Also

US President Biden seeks to keep focus on China as he welcomes ASEAN leaders

President Joe Biden will host Southeast Asian leaders in Washington this week as his administration …