After 18 months, Canadian travelers begin to reappear, ready to explore the world and the life-changing experiences that travel can bring once again. With one in four Canadians seeking savings tips and 45 percent saying they’re willing to be flexible in their travel plans to save money *, Expedia and ARC are teaming up to share the guide ultimate travel tips.
Airline ticket booking hacks for 2022
Based on ARC data, average ticket prices (ATP) at the start of 2021 were still higher than in previous years; However, in April there was a decrease. ATPs for international and domestic flights have risen steadily since then, but remain on average around 25% lower than in 2019.1
Optimal booking window2
- Prices for domestic flights generally start to increase 35 days before departure, while prices for international flights begin to increase 28 days before departure. The right place to book a domestic flight is 28-49 days in advance, while international flights should be booked three to four months in advance for the lowest prices.
Ideal day of the week to book3
- The ideal day to book a flight is Sunday, not Friday. For domestic flights, this can save travelers around 15 percent and for international flights, the savings are nearly 10 percent.
Ideal day of the week for traveling4
- The ideal day to start a domestic journey is Friday, not Monday, where travelers can save around 25%.
- For international flights, start the trip on a Saturday instead of a Tuesday to save almost 10%.
Best month to travel5
Travelers planning their trips in 2022 can also unlock huge savings by being flexible and choosing the right month to travel:
- The ideal month to go is January compared to December. For domestic flights, this can save travelers around 15% and nearly 30% for international departures.
Splurge and go as a bonus6
Premium Economy tickets have never been so expensive. In 2021, premium economy ATPs were 212% more expensive than economy tickets, while in 2020 they were 288% more expensive. Before the pandemic, in 2019, average premium economy class ticket prices were 304% more expensive than economy class. With a quarter of Canadians (25%) willing to upgrade their flight if they can afford it *, now is the time to splurge and consider upgrading.
Tips for saving on accommodation for 2022
While domestic accommodation rates fell in 2020, prices have gradually increased over the past year and, due to strong demand for domestic travel, are still slightly higher compared to 2019.7.
As Canadians continue to plan their future getaways, based on data from Expedia, here are some simple tips for saving on lodging:
Ideal day of the week to book8
- For national holidays, the lowest Average Daily Rate (ADR) for booking accommodation tends to occur on a Tuesday, where travelers could save almost 10% compared to booking on the most expensive day, which is a Friday.
- For international travel, book a Tuesday, not a Thursday, to save around 10%.
Perfect day of the week to stay8
- The ideal day to start a domestic holiday is a Tuesday, where travelers can save almost 10% compared to a Friday.
- For international travel, staying on a Tuesday can save travelers around 10%, compared to staying on a Thursday.
Star down to save
Travelers can spend more by choosing a lower rated hotel. Travelers can save around 45% on average by simply choosing a 4-star property over 5-star, while going from a 3-star to a 4-star can save travelers around 30%.7.
Driving and exploring destinations closer to home or thinking outside the box in new places is a trend that we have seen developing since the start of the pandemic. As travelers continue to plan for road trips, data from Expedia indicates that the best day to book a rental car is a Thursday for domestic travel. For travelers exploring international getaways, the cheapest day to reserve a car is Friday. Meanwhile, starting car rental on a Monday tends to be the cheapest day for domestic bookings, while Saturday is the best day for international travel.
Flexibility is a necessity7
As the unpredictability associated with the pandemic remains, flexibility will remain a priority for travelers. For just over 30% more, travelers can get a refundable accommodation rate in case plans need to be changed or canceled, providing peace of mind.
Bundle and saveten
On Expedia, travelers can unlock bigger discounts by simply booking their flight and hotel together, rather than booking separately. On average, Canadians can save around 10% by consolidating their flight and hotel into one transaction.
When it comes to booking a trip, it pays to be loyal. Travelers can enjoy the benefits of a loyalty program for their future trips, as they book their current trip. By signing up to Expedia, travelers will enjoy benefits upon joining, including access to member-only prices and earn Expedia Points with every trip. Silver and Gold members who book Expedia VIP Access hotels can also get additional benefits such as room upgrades or spa credits where applicable.
Plus, travelers who sign up for the Expedia app will not only have the ultimate travel companion at their fingertips, but will also be able to unlock up to 10% savings with mobile-exclusive hotel deals, and earn double Expedia Rewards points on every booking on the app. . Travelers will also benefit from useful alerts on their travel itinerary.
Mary Zajac, PR Manager for the Expedia brand, comments: “As travelers continue to plan for future trips, we want to make the process as easy as possible, while helping them save a few extra dollars along the way. We know that planning a vacation can be stressful at the best of times, but by being flexible and applying these handy tips, we hope travelers feel more confident and ready to travel again.
It is important to keep abreast of the latest government and travel advisories. For the latest information, Expedia’s new COVID-19 travel notification tool helps travelers search for travel advisories around the world, including destination regulations and safety and health guidelines, or visit Expedia’s COVID-19 travel guide.