SINGAPORE, July 5, 2021: Confidence in overseas travel is rising among Singaporeans who hope the successful vaccination program will open the door to international travel by the end of the year.
Year-end international travel searches up 60% in Q2 2021 vs. Q1, Expedia says .
This indicates strong pent-up demand for non-sharing vacation bookings, even though international travel restrictions remain largely in place between the city-state and destinations around the world. Optimism about international travel in recent months has been fueled by higher vaccination rates among the resident population – with 75% of Singapore citizens expected to be vaccinated by October 2021. This is boosting the ‘interest in planning trips from November 2021 to the end of January 2022.
Search for staycations increased nearly 440% in Q2 (Q2 2021), which included the June school holidays, compared to the previous quarter (Q1 2021). Despite recent restrictions imposed as part of the country’s heightened alert, families in Singapore have explored safe options to continue with their stay plans to satisfy their urge to travel.
In total, search volume for national and international travel  handsets increased 140% from the first to second trimester.
Expedia Brand APAC Communications Manager Lavinia Rajaram said, “The demand the travel industry is seeing for the year-end travel season shows how eager Singapore travelers are to come back.
Beaches and long-haul travel top wishlists
With Singapore as the most private vacation market in the world, as Expedia’s 2020 Vacation Deprivation® study revealed, it’s no surprise Singaporeans are eager to travel abroad. Recent Expedia Research Data also revealed a shift in their preferred international destinations, with beach destinations becoming more popular for year-end travel among Singaporeans compared to the same period in 2019 and 2018, when the cooler destinations in North Asia like Okinawa, Seoul and Taipei were the first choices.
Beach destinations featured prominently in the list of top 10 most sought after international destinations, with the Maldives taking the top spot – a big jump from 2018 and 2019 when they took the 14th.e place on the list. Other beach destinations that made the top 10 list include Bali, Krabi and Phuket, which took the 4e, 5e and 10e place, respectively.
Fig 1. Top 10 most popular international destinations, based on hotel searches on Expedia.com.sg between May 1 and June 10, 2021, for travel between November 2021 and January 2022
Want to travel but overwhelmed by the planning
Despite growing optimism about international travel for the year-end period, 71% of Singaporeans revealed they felt overwhelmed with planning their next trip, according to recent findings from Expedia’s Travel Companions report.
Expedia recently introduced new features to give travelers the tools they need to plan their trip with confidence and enthusiasm, with everything they need in one place, and start-to-finish support to help them make it happen. get the most out of every trip.
- Download the app: Expedia’s award-winning mobile app makes it easy to plan and track travel plans, with convenient push notifications alerting travelers to route changes, easy messaging with your hotel, and a map feature for finding things to do nearby.
- Book flexible rates: While many destinations are open, the choice of refundable fares allows travelers to grab a bargain or get a trip off the books without worrying about plans having to change. Filter the search results for “free cancellation” or “book now, pay later” and select a refundable room type.
- Unlock larger savings by bundling: By simply booking multiple items at the same time, like adding an activity or a hotel to a flight purchase, travelers can save up to hundreds of dollars on their trip.
- Keep an eye out for the latest travel restrictions: With restrictions changing daily or weekly, it can be difficult to keep up to date with the latest COVID-related guidelines. Use the COVID-19 Travel Advisory Tool, which allows travelers to enter their origin and destination to see travel advisories or COVID-19 restrictions in place.
- Improved support: New virtual agent features allow many travelers to view their reservations, check their refund status, inquire about hotel amenities, or easily cancel / change parts of their trips.
- Additional benefits: Customers will receive more Expedia Rewards points on app bookings, which can be redeemed on future trips. Additionally, Expedia Rewards premium customers who book VIP Access hotels can receive room upgrades, spa credits, and late check-out (subject to availability).
1]Based on hotel searches on Expedia.com.sg between April and June 2021, for the travel period from November 2021 to January 2022.
2Based on hotel searches on Expedia.com.sg between May 1 and June 10, 2021, for the travel period from November 2021 to January 2022.